Industries are responsible for four types of pollution – air, water, land, and noise pollution. Following are the various reasons:
- Air pollution is caused by the presence of high proportion of undesirable gases, such as sulphur dioxide and carbon monoxide.
- Water pollution is caused by organic and inorganic industrial wastes and effluents discharged into rivers.
- Thermal pollution of water occurs when hot water from factories and thermal plants are drained into rivers and ponds before cooling.
- Wastes from nuclear plants cause cancer, birth defects and miscarriages.
- Dumping of wastes especially, glass, harmful chemicals, industrial effluents, packaging, salts and other garbage render the soil useless.
- Noise pollution is caused due to industrial and construction activities, factory equipment, generators, electric saws, drills and other machineries.